Winter for me means protective styling and serious haircare. My hair 4c coarse texture tends to shed more during this season so it’s all about more moisture and all the treatments I can get. I am sharing my current natural hair routine with you guys hopefully it helps!
Winter And Hair
It’s no surprise that the winter takes a toll on our hair and skin. In my Protective Styling and Haircare post, I spoke in depth on how you can combat the effects of winter and how to keep your fro in check all season long! Check it out after you read this post!
I am not going to lie and say I do a whole bunch of things! Like everyone else I have to balance work and free time. Weekends are my free time and I usually have a bunch of things to do so I don’t really want to spend it on my hair (I love my hair but….)! I tried and tested a few techniques and I think I finally for the right formula.
I shampoo my hair every 2 weeks now followed up by deep conditioning. This is key for retaining moisture and repair my hair. I use different shampoos as I do a lot of reviews but some of my all-time favourites are Mizani True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo & ORS Curls Unleashed Shampoo! I’m currently testing the very new Dermalogica Hair Shampoo
In between shampoos, I swear by Zerreau Shampoo Foam to gently cleanse my hair and scalp! I have a full review and demo here! I realised my hair and scalp loves to be clean and missing a wash day for my hair means extra tangles etc but the foam tackles product build up! After this I usually follow with my scalp oils (my DIY mix- castor & almond oil with peppermint essential oil) and a leave in conditioner- I choose this depending on what I am feeling like lol but I have been reaching for my Cantu Natural Hair Leave In these days.
During the week I like to go in with oils and dampen my hair when am in the shower. It’s literally the quickest way to add moisture to my hair. I also use my DIY water spray bottle which is water, my oil mix and some more peppermint essential oil.
I always sleep with a satin bonnet- no questions asked.
Important Things To Note!
- I always add heat to my deep conditioners by using a hood dryer attachment to my blow-dryer. This has made such a difference to my hair and it leaves lets you get the best of your deep conditioning sessions
- I always finger detangle when I am shampooing my hair. I like shampoos that are quite slippery so it makes finger detangling a bit easier.
- I then detangle with my wide tooth comb when I add my deep conditioner. It’s quicker and easier because of previous finger detangling. ( I don’t trust finger detangling ALONE for my hair texture)
- I do protein treatments every 8- 10 weeks to strengthen my hair
- I also take multi vitamins for all round health
That’s all folks! I don’t really use a whole bunch of products or do a lot to my hair although it doesn’t seem like it. This works for my hair and my whole wash day is literally 1 hr 30mins! If you find which techniques work for you just stick with them and don’t let the trends fool you. I like to try trends once in a while because I’m a blogger but once I realise it’s just hype I’m like meh lol.
Christmas shopping? Read THIS
His love keeps me on my feet
One thought on “Winter Natural Hair Routine”