The winter for many naturals including myself means protective styling. The cold weather, dry wind and rain plays havoc on my hair so rocking my wigs is a definite. Protective Styling doesn’t mean an absence of a proper hair care routine! In all its greatness, at the end of the day (week), you still have to detangle your fro!
Winter Hair Care
Should your hair routine change in the winter? Yes! Should you even change your products? Not really. I say this because if you are going to have your hair in a protective style, then it won’t matter what shampoo you use.
Your hair routine shouldn’t change drastically! I’m sure you’ve been taking care of your hair all year, a few tweaks is all that’s needed. Just like we focus more on moisture for our skin in the winter, we should focus (more) on moisture too for our hair. I say more because natural hair is already prone to dryness but the colder season can add to this too.
Winter Hair Care Tips
- Deep condition frequently, preferably after every wash and with heat. The addition of the heat allows the active ingredients of the deep conditioner to penetrate further into the hair shaft
- Scalp massages- essential for keeping your scalp healthy. Massaging stimulates blood flow to the area and with that comes the nutrients that are needed to nourish the scalp which in turn promotes growth. Take advantage of the plethora of growth oils for this
- If you are rocking a protective style, make sure you take a break from them e.g. taking out braids after 4-6 weeks, taking off your wigs nightly etc. this ensure there isn’t a lot of tension on the scalp
- If you use elastic bands for your wigs, try to use the thicker ones so that the pressure is distributed evenly
- Of course, do not forget your silk/satin bonnet when you sleep!
- Protein/keratin treatments (which reminds me, I am due a protein treatment!) to rebuild your hair and strengthen it. This prevents excessive breaking and shedding. More on protein and keratin can be read in my previous post here
Of course, no post on this blog would be complete without recommending some products!
Shampoo- Mizani True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo
Deep conditioner- Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Mask
Leave in- Cantu Leave In Conditioning Cream
How have you been keeping your hair in check so far? Let me know which products & techniques have been working for you.
Are you Christmas Shopping yet? Take a look at my gift guides for inspiration!
Skincare sets, Customised gifts, Black British Brands
Countdown to Christmas!
You must be logged in to post a comment.